Crossfit is a system (philosophy) of a general physical training of anybody, aimed at the uniform development of all physical qualities (strength, endurance, coordination, power). However, Crossfit does not require any special training or experience. The same approach (crossfit program) often applies to all athletes in the gym, however weights and intensity are scaled individually depending on the athlete's physical training. CrossFit is a branded fitness regimen created by Greg Glassman and is a registered trademark of CrossFit, Inc.
Crossfit requires constant alternation of exercises from the three main groups (weightlifting, gymnastics and cardio) to acquire an excellent and comprehensively developed physical form. In addition to alternating exercises, in a normal and balanced training program will also alternate the time (duration) of workouts - this is necessary to actualize the required neuroendocrinal response of a person to different loads. Therefore, a person engaged in crossfit training is able to perform both high-intensity training in 2 minutes, and long 20-30 minute workouts, and with the same ease run a marathon.
It is also necessary to take into account, that competing athletes and people who engaged into crossfit to maintain a good physical shape have a completely different programs.
There are three types of load are used: M="cardio", G = gymnastics, W = weightlifting. They alternate among themselves in different variations.
There is a standard scheme for alternating loads of different types of training: 1st day - M, 2nd day - GW, 3d day - MG, 4th day – rest, 5th day - G, 6th day- WM, 7th day - GWM, 8th day – rest, 9th day - W, 10th day - MG, 11th day - WMG, 12th day - rest. This scheme for general orientation in the alternation of load types. However, modern crossfit has already moved away from this scheme of compilation of training programs, many boxes have their own program, own training schedule, only the principles of diversity of training and the availability of all types of workload in the training program are general.
What should I fear?
1) Rhabdomyolysis is a possible threat to "trained newcomers in CrossFit", be very careful. It is a real threat. During the first trainings, first of all, it is necessary to exclude the possibility of the appearance of "Rabdo". Тraining for beginners on an equal basis with the main group inevitably leads to rhabdo. At least, this is an official statement. Adapt your body to such loads smoothly and do not try to set a record on the very first day of meeting with CrossFit.
2) Keep your training program balanced. Do not allow monotone work and maximally alternate exercises and modalities.
Because of the large variety of crossfit workouts, there is always a need to find a unique, interesting and balanced workout, which would fit perfectly into the athlete's unique training plan.
When looking for a workout, you need to consider many parameters in order to find what you need.
Search and sort criteria on this page for Crossfit WOD searching:
- WOD Category. (singlet, couplet, triplet or chipper, bodyweight or with weights. Popular crossfit workouts categories: Girls, Heroes, Games, For time, ЕМОМ or AMRAP; gymnastics, weightlifting or endurance workouts)
- Exercise. (search by the presence of certain exercises in workouts)
- Movement. (search by type of exercises (movements) in training: abs, squats, press, deadlift, jumps, running)
- Modality. (is used only in crossfit workouts: M = monostructural metabolic conditioning or “cardio”, G = gymnastics, bodyweight exercises, W = weightlifting, powerlifting and olympic lifts)
- Time. Training duration (choose a workout with a certain duration)
- Equipment (medicine balls, rowing, crossfit racks, barbell, dumbbells or kettlebell etc.
In addition to training content in search results, you can see such characteristics as: a workout rating (rated by other athletes), a number of results for each workout and the average duration of the workout.
Another unique opportunity of WODCAT app is an algorithm for detecting duplicates. There isn’t any identical workouts in WODCAT database. All workouts are tested for uniqueness when adding.
CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.
Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing. Combat, survival, many sports, and life reward this kind of fitness and, on average, punish the specialist.
The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.
The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen.