How to do Ring Pull-ups
- Adjust the height of the gym rings so that your feet will not touch the ground between repetitions.
- Stand under the rings and grip with either an overhand (for the pull-up), or underhand (for the chin-up) hand position.
- The free movement of the rings means that your grip does not have to be strictly one position or the other, and it may change throughout the exercise.
- Keep your arms straight and simply dead hang from the rings, keeping your body vertical.
- Pull your chest up toward the gymnastic rings by bending your arms.
- Keep the movement smooth, slow and controlled and try not to jerk any muscles as you pull-up.
- Pause for a moment at the top of the exercise before you start slowly lowering yourself back down.
- Once you are lowered back to the hanging position, pause, and repeat the exercise.
- Throughout the exercise keep your torso straight, legs together, and shoulders relaxed.
- Minimise any rocking or swaying movements.
- Practice the false grip pull-up to strengthen your wrists and prepare for the muscle-up.