How to do The Overhead Lunge:
- Hold a weight plate, weighted bar, or dumbbells overhead, with your feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
- Keep the weight directly overhead (in line with the shoulder joint), and take a comfortable step forward in to a deep lunge position.
- Make sure your forward knee remains over your forward foot (not in front of it).
- Forcefully drive your forward heel in to the ground and return to the starting position.
- Perform up to 10 repetitions on each side and then switch sides.
- Maintain perfect posture throughout the movement—your head is level, your eyes are looking forward, your chest is held high and your back is flat.
- Don't bend your elbows or let the weight sink during the movement.
- Don't let your front heel lift off of the ground.
- It's helpful to practice this exercise with no weight in the beginning.
- Hold a broomstick or other light bar overhead as you squat. Increase the weight only when you master the movement.
- If you cannot complete 10 repetitions with perfect form and control, reduce the weight and focus on your form.