How to do Muscle clean:
- Grasp the bar with an overhand (pronated) grip with your hands just outside hip-width, and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, eyes focused forward. Wrap your thumbs around the bar for safety.
- Keeping your abs tight and back and arms straight, bend your knees and push your hips back, as if you were preparing to perform a vertical jump. Your shoulders should be slightly ahead of the bar.
- Once the bar reaches about mid-thigh, begin a jump shrug by quickly and explosively extending your legs and rising onto your toes, then shrug and pull the bar upward, keeping it very close to your body.
- Pull the bar explosively to your upper chest, keeping your elbows as high as possible and out to your sides.
- Immediately pull your body under the bar by quickly rotating your hands and elbows around it, "catching" the bar with your hands and shoulders. As your elbows rotate around the bar, allow your hips to shift back and down slightly, as if you were sitting in a chair, as you absorb the weight of the bar.
- You're now in a front squat position, squeezing your legs and pressing through the floor.
Note: Once you're under the bar, your elbows should point straight ahead, with the bar resting in your hands atop your front delts and upper chest.