For the jumping chest-to-bar pull-up, the bar should be at least six inches above the top of the athlete’s head when he or she is standing tall. The athlete may need to use plates or other stable platforms to decrease the distance between the top of the head and the bar.
At the bottom of the movement, the athlete must lower his or her body so the arms are fully extended.
At the top, the chest must clearly come into contact with the bar below the collarbone. Athletes may wrap tape around the pull-up bar OR wear hand protection gymnastics-style, gloves, etc.), but they may not tape the bar AND wear hand protection.
How to do the Jump Pull-Up:
- Place a box under the pull-up bar.
- Stand on the box and grab onto the pull-up bar with both hands.
- Hands should be just outside shoulder width apart.
- Jump up off the box and pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar and then lower yourself back down.
- As soon as you land start the next rep.