This exercise is a species of basic “bench press”. The main advantage of Alternating Floor Press is a reduced load on deltoid muscles and lumbar region. Also there is no necessity to use a bench for performing this movement. That’s why Alternating Floor Press is good for home trainings. Reducing load on deltoid muscles occurs by reducing the amplitude of motion during the exercise.
- Position the bar on a squat rack about 2 feet off the ground.
- Lie on the floor under the bar with your knees bent. Hold the bar with a slightly-wider-than-shoulder-width grip.
- Lift the bar off the pins as if performing a standard Bench Press.
- Slowly lower the bar to your chest until your elbows touch the ground, keeping your upper arms at about a 45-degree angle to your body.
- Pause with your elbows on the ground for 2-3 seconds.
- Drive the bar over your chest until your arms are fully extended.
- Rack the bar when you finish the set.