The thruster is a serious compound (utilizes more than one joint) exercise that combines a clean, front squat and push-press.
How to do Dumbbell Thruster:
- Position dumbbell in front of shoulders with elbows pointing slightly forward and torso tight.
- Position feet slightly wider than shoulder width, pointing outward slightly.
- Descend until knees and hips are fully bent or until thighs are just past parallel to floor.
- Knees travel slightly outward in direction of toes.
- Raise body upward by extending knees and hips.
- Accelerate when nearing top of squat, drive dumbbells up off shoulders, and throw weight overhead by extending arms upward. Immediately lower weight by bending arms.
- As weight descends, bend legs, and catch dumbbells in front of shoulders as knees are bending at approximately 90°.
- Repeat movement sequence in quick succession.